Writing is one of the most challenging skills to master before blogging. Here are 5 most entertaining ways to help you improve your writing skills, starting as early as today:
1. Read as much you can
You need to be devoted for a little time, maybe daily, to read. Just pick up any newspaper, magazine, book, or something online blogs to read and try to know the works of important people.
When you are reading, you expand your knowledge of your vocabulary, and enhance your imagination skill and you start improvising your writing better. Move out of your habitual comfort zone and read something special to improve your writing skills.
You may also try reading essays or masterworks to understand why it was so effective and influential. Even events, people, television, and movies can motivate you.
According to me, it’s the best and easiest to develop writing skills by reading. Do you like reading? If you like, then what do you like reading?
2. Write, write, and just write to Improve Your Writing
Writing is the only thing that can improve your writing skills. Sometimes you get so inspired by reading someone’s blog or article that you start copying them. You need to learn from the writers or books you read, but improve your own writing style.
You need to understand some points how and where all you can write to Improve Your Writing:
● Bring a notebook or diary, wherever you go. Just pen down your thoughts before they disappear
● Write down thoughts that come to your brain. These could be from blog articles you read, phrases, comments, characters, topics, titles, subtitles, events, or just anything.
● you could revise your previous blog articles to re-purpose them. You would be amazed to see your enhanced writing skills now as compared to what it was earlier.
● Join some online social networks, writers community or writer’s conferences and groups. These are ways to expand your writing and stay motivated because you learn from others when you chat to them and get regular feedback on your work.
● Start commenting on blog posts by challenging yourself to write long comments, instead of the usual one-liners, you’d be surprised to see how Improved Your Writing.
● be innovative – think different and creative! Don’t write the same thing every day otherwise you will get bored. You may try writing the same post or story in different tenses, or a different perspective.
● Find the correct environment to write. Try some changed places or different times of the day to see which is suitable for you to write. Possibly you have writer’s block at night, so try to wake up 15 minutes earlier in the morning, and write. If you are facing trouble writing in a loud place, find a quiet and comfortable one.
● Write regularly! There is nothing better than writing daily, if you really want to develop your writing skills. Write at least 1,000 words every day, or start with 300 words and increase it slowly.
Writing requires dedication, punctuality, and patience. Don’t hurry through your writing, for advance writing, you need to write at least 5-6 days a week, and it can be more. All you need to do is set your timetable to write daily, and just sit and do write!
3. Improve your grammar
I know the blog writing is a little different than the real writing because one can afford to be a little casual here. But when you have to write professionally, you need to take maximum care.
Here are a few things to keep in mind while you are writing something to Improve Your Writing:
– Use less of passive voice, and more of active voice
It isn’t always bad to use the passive voice, but active is what’s generally preferred. For example – “An article had been written by Neil while he was in flight” is passive. “Neil wrote an article while he was in flight” is active.
– Keep your writing clear, direct, and simple
Use the appropriate words at the appropriate place and at the right time. Don’t fill up posts saying what you want to, if it can be said in a few words.
1. Don’t make your sentences too long or hard to read. Remember, the longer you write, the lesser you might hold your reader’s interest.
2. Always double-check your spelling mistakes.
3. Use paragraphs to break your text.
4. Proper use of the punctuations
– Good writing skills contain strong words, being accurate and suggestive
Finding the right word, whether it’s a verb or adjective, can spice up your writing. Be specific when you write, without repeating the same words, unless you really have to – as in rhyming words.
– Work on the emotions through your writing
Your readers should feel what you write, whether it’s through your blogs or other writing. Nothing works better than feelings and emotions.
– Just don’t follow the rules
Sometimes it’s better to break the rules if you know how and where to break them. This only can be done once you’ve mastered it all. However, make sure that you write well enough otherwise.
– Correct your grammar to Improve Your Writing
You may use resources like Grammar Check, Grammarly, or GrammarBook to check your grammar.
Even you can also check your grammar on MS Word, your iPad and Google Doc helps. I personally use MS Word and it works perfectly for me. How about you?
– Edit and re-edit your writing
Not only once, edit your writing work for, as 2 to 3 times it required. Editing is an essential part of writing, whether you are a blogger or a writer. You know no body is perfect. – If you could find something to change in your work, even after completion, if given another chance – you must. Revise writing if necessary – don’t hold yourself if you feel you need to work on your writing to make it better.
Once you finish your writing, read through your article to edit. That would make your first revision, where you can remove the unwanted phrases, words, and check the grammar.
The second revision should ideally be on print or once you read your writing aloud. Hearing your voice, as opposed to seeing your words, may change your thoughts about them.
The third revision should be the next followed day, or with a another pair of eyes. If you cannot able to do that, even a few hours can make a difference. You can edit the typos, add or delete paragraphs if need be, to make your piece better.
If you have a professional editor, its ideal, but if this isn’t affordable, choose someone to proofread for you.
The person doesn’t have to be better than you. Instead, you need someone to give you feedback on how your tone and points are coming across.
4. Always keep your readers in mind
If you want your readers to read your article, understand and absorb all that you write comfortably. So, short is the answer whatever you write, you need to write openly, briefly, and prevent doubt of any kind.
Use more of associative or expressive words, paired with some good images because images can do miracles to your writing. People will be glued to your work.
Reading online is exhausting. So, do all that you can to decrease the stress by trying the following –
• You need to add bullets, numbering and subheads to break your lines and express yourself.
• Don’t add more than three short sentences to a paragraph so that it’s easier to read.
• Keep a comfortable font size so that your readers don’t have to cross-eyed to read.
Most importantly, stay on topic. Write on focus keyword with explained manner using identical words and synonyms and also ensure your writing is relevant and related.
5. Tools and Resources to Improve Your Writing
This is an imagination portal that encourages you to use to get your imagination rolling a little. It drives random thoughts that are supposed to get you thinking.
A Research Guide
This website has its own tool. It is like a big encyclopedia of the many technical aspects of essay writing. There are topics on the expected areas such as formatting and styles.
Unusual Writing Ideas
This is actually the set of ideas, can be just what the jammed writer needs to motivate new ideas and get imaginative.
It will pick up on things that your regular spelling and grammar checker will not. It is especially good for pointing out words that may be correctly spelt typos.
Increase the content of your article with this tool. You can make your mind with some of your best ideas and use this tool to plan your post.
Write Words Phrase Counter and Word Counter
Use both to find out if you are using the same words or phrases too frequently in the same piece of text. Have you gotten into the habit of writing, It may even be that you have frequently used a phrase that could be shortened down to make the text easier to understand.
Common Errors in English Use
This is a source that has a massive amount of possible errors that your grammar and spelling checkers are going to miss.
No one is born as a writer. Learning to become a good writer takes time, practice, determination and punctuality.
Remember, writing should be fun – if you enjoy something. Also, there is no one right way to write. You need to find your own writing style and work on it.